Setting up a virtual machine with Ubuntu Server is very simple.
- Download VMware Player
- Download Ubuntu Server ISO. I downloaded Ubuntu Server 13.04.
- Create a new virtual machine using VMware Player:
- Select “Create A New Virtual Machine”
- Choose “Installer disc image file” and select the downloaded ISO. It should detect the Ubuntu version and offer “Easy Install”.
- Enter your name and the details of the initial user account
- Provide a name and location for the virtual machine
- Start installation